Alumnus of the Year Award
At Elon University’s Homecoming each year, the Association shall present this award to a deserving alumnus who has best advanced the interests of the Association and Lambda-Lambda Chapter. The recipient shall receive an individual plaque with a permanent plaque to be maintained at the Lambda-Lambda Chapter House and available for display at the Association meetings.
2021 Award Winner
The Lambda-Lambda Alumni Association of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity announced today that Richard Beck of Nashville, Tennessee has been named the recipient of the Alumnus of the Year Award for 2021. Richard is a 1972 graduate of Elon University, a founding father of Lambda-Lambda, and the 8th initiate of the Kappa Sigma chapter at Elon.
Following graduation from Elon in 1972, Richard followed in his father’s footsteps and became the youngest advertising sales rep for L.M Berry Co, The Yellow Page Advertising Agency for most national AT&T/Bell operating telephone companies. After his 18 year tenure there, which included relocation to Nashville, Richard went to work for Athlon Sports Communications in 1992 as a national advertising/marketing sales manager for the Southwest & West Coast. The company offered integrated sports marketing packages to Fortune 500 companies that included national media in 16 national newsstand preseason sports publications, along with onsite hospitality, athlete engagement appearances/meet & greets, and main event tickets. In 1997, he launched a new sports collectibles division as a Division President, Stockholder and VP International Media Sales, enjoying long term client relationships with companies like Southwest Airlines, Dr. Pepper, E.A. Sports, Mazda, Fan Duel, and Draft Kings Fantasy Sports.
Richard opened three Athlon Sports Collectibles retail stores in the late 1990’s when Nashville welcomed the Tennessee Titans and Nashville Predators to the sports scene. During the course of his 25 years, he became a partner and helped build the Athlon Media Group and Parade Magazine acquisition from $8M to over $130M in annual revenue.
In 2016, as the corporate strategy shifted away from sports, Richard traded his stock ownership in all of the magazine publications and acquired, via an asset purchase and licensing agreement, the collectibles division and full inventory. He then downsized from 30K square feet to 5K square feet and continued with his long term passion, in a much lower key environment, via multiple website sales, regional charity events/silent auctions/player appearances, national wholesale and sports media consulting. Richard established the single member/owner RDB Holdings & Consulting, LLC, d.b.a. Athlon Sports Collectibles. Richard has now expanded from sports to include military, historical, presidential, celebrity, music, etc., offering over 9,000 hand signed authenticated items.
Richard enjoys international travel and seasonally works from his Gulf Coast beach condo. He is a strong man of faith and has enjoyed expanding his music interest in his beloved city of Nashville for almost 50 years. He still cherishes and sees his Sigma Mu/Kappa Sig roommates and other brothers annually and strongly feels those brotherly fraternity relationships are equally important to being blessed with building successful businesses in his career. He remains on the path to figuring out the next chapter in his life and the appropriate retirement plan, and looks forward to attending Elon Homecoming 202
2000 Award Winner
2001 Award Winner
2002 Award Winner
2003 Award Winner
2004 Award Winner
2005 Award Winner
2006 Award Winner
2007 Award Winner
2008 Award Winner
2009 Award Winner
2010 Award Winner
2011 Award Winner
2012 Award Winner
2013 Award Winner
2014 Award Winner
2015 Award Winner
2016 Award Winner
2017 Award Winner
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
How to submit an Alumnus of the Year Nomination:
Alumnus of the Year Selection Process
CHANGES TO THE AWARD PROCESS/TIMELINE FOR 2020
I hope this communication finds you and your families well during these tumultuous times. I’m sure most of you have received the news that Elon’s football season has been canceled for 2020, and that Homecoming will now be a virtual event which precludes our annual alumni fraternity meeting where we announce the recipients of the Lambda-Lambda Chapter’s Alumnus of the Year Award and the William E. Gortney Distinguished Alumnus Award.
The Executive Committee and Alumnus Advisors remain committed to administering the association, fostering the brotherhood, maintaining communications, and laying the foundation for the reestablishment of the Lambda-Lambda Chapter of The Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Elon. As part of these efforts, we will continue our tradition of honoring alumni deserving of these Awards.
Unfortunately, circumstances require us to modify our process for recognizing these awards this year. While the recipients will be selected this calendar year, our current plan is to announce the 2020 recipients at a tentative spring campus event, or in conjunction with the announcement of the 2021 recipients at Homecoming next year. We trust you understand this delay in the announcement, as we believe these awards are most worthy of in-person recognition.
Nomination form links are listed at the top of each award page and the deadline for entry is November 15, 2020. Please contact an Executive Committee member if you have any questions or comments. We look forward to receiving your nominations!
Trey Foy, LLAA Grand Master
Standard Process to select Alumnus of the Year; Revised March, 2013
- On or before August 5 each year, the Chairman of the Board of Advisors (BoA) shall convene the BoA, and previous Alumnus of the Year recipients, to begin the process of selecting the current year recipient of the Alumnus of the Year award.
- On or before August 10, the BoA shall designate an Advisor to coordinate with the GS to send an email to Kappa Sigma National, the Alumni Association Board and Listserve, and previous recipients to ask for nominations, and post on the home page of the kappasigmaelon.org web site, and our KappaSigmaElon Facebook page, to ask for nominations by August 24, with nominations to be sent to any Advisor.
- The BoA will review and discuss the nominations during late August and early September via email, conference calls and other methods determined by the Chairman.
- The BoA shall present a nomination, or if consensus cannot be reached, a slate of nominations, to the EC/Board of Directors at the September Alumni Association meeting (1st Saturday after Labor Day). The nominee will be selected by vote by the board at that time. An email message with this information will be sent to the Board’s Yahoo group list within three business days.
- Within one week after the Board vote, the Chair of the BoA Scholarship committee, or other Advisor to be determined by the BoA, will order the plaque for the individual and the plate for the permanent plaque to be given to the GS of the chapter to affix to the permanent plaque, on or before Homecoming.
- The BoA shall strive to ensure that the current year recipient attends homecoming to receive the award in person.
- The award, and plaque, shall be presented to the recipient during the annual meeting by the GM of the alumni association during homecoming weekend.This process, upon approval by the board, shall be posted on the Web site page http://www.kappasigmaelon.org/alumnus-of-the-year/
- The Alumni Association GS shall notify the Webmaster to update the web site with the current recipients name, within one week after Homecoming.
- The Alumni Association GS or his designate shall notify the following organizations within one week after Homecoming via a press release or other document: Kappa Sigma National, Elon University Alumni Department, Kappa Sigma Elon Facebook page, Kappa Sigma Elon LinkedIn page